Research proposal writing, editing and developing
The Office of the Vice Dean, Research and Innovation provides a grant editing service to UofT medical science investigators. The Office prioritizes CIHR, CFI, and CRC grants for editorial review, but will review all grant proposals to any funding agency or foundation on an ad hoc basis. This service is free to on-campus investigators. Hospital-based off-campus investigators are charged a fee of $60.00/page +HST if applicable. The request form can be found here.
The Faculty of Medicine strongly encourages investigators to take advantage of this service.
Daniel Harney, PhD
Grants and Awards Editor
email@example.com (416) 978-3488
Grant Writing Course Component – If you are teaching a class that includes a mock grant writing assignment for your students, the Grants and Awards Editor, Dan Harney, is available to present guest lectures to your students on the basics of grant writing and general good writing practices in the medical sciences. Please contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
What Do We Do?
- Provide writing and editing support for all grant proposals to any funding agency, from single-investigator to major multi-researcher pan-institutional applications
- Ensure applications clearly demonstrate the IMPACT of the research
- Reorganize for most effective content and structure
- Clarify meaning, polish language, improve readability
- Correct grammar, usage, spelling, punctuation
- Ensure proposals adhere to agency formatting guidelines
What Are Our Goals?
- Improve grant success and INCREASE FUNDING for researchers. Grants we edit are more apt to be funded than those not edited (41% success rate on edited grants vs. 27% overall Faculty of Medicine success rate for the last CIHR OOGP)
- Enable researchers to apply for more funding with better prepared materials
How Long Does Editing Take?
- About a day to edit a 10-page grant but can take longer depending on level of input
- Edited proposals returned with as speedy turn-around time as possible – in time for the researcher to review editorial suggestions prior to agency deadline
What Don't We Do?
- Arrange scientific peer reviews - conducted through departments or divisions
- Verify budgets
- Edit references
Please contact email@example.com as soon as possible if you would like to take advantage of the grant development service.