MD Students Create Study Guide, Pay it Forward: 35 Years of Toronto Notes

Jan 24, 2019
Carolyn Morris

 Mark Shafarenko, Sara Mirali, Ayesh Seneviratne and Tara Tofighi Mark Shafarenko, Sara Mirali, Ayesh Seneviratne and Tara Tofighi

Every year, U of T MD students revise and update Toronto Notes — a study guide for medical trainees sold across Canada and internationally — dedicating their profits to student initiatives at the Faculty of Medicine. The group donated close to $3.7 million to the Boundless campaign. This year’s editors and production managers reflect on the initiative and their foray into medical education and philanthropy.

What is Toronto Notes — and what has it been like to be involved with it?

“Toronto Notes started over 35 years ago as a compilation of notes prepared by senior medical students, which was passed down between years as a reference source in clerkship and for licensing exams. Since then, we have grown into one of the most reputable resources used by medical students across Canada and internationally. That is the most rewarding aspect: knowing we can share this work with our peers across the country.

“As editors, it’s been incredible to be part of an initiative that brings together over 100 students and faculty members in revising and updating this book annually. It feels like a community coming together, and it’s a privilege to be part of this team.”

— Toronto Notes 2019 Editors-in-Chief, Tara Tofighi and Mark Shafarenko

“As production managers, we’ve been able to get real business experience. We’re involved in marketing, sales, taking care of orders, shipping and customer service. We work with a lawyer to handle copyright issues, and an accountant on the financial side.

"We’re both in the MD/PhD program and have plans of doing research, running a laboratory and getting involved in commercialization, so this experience is really valuable.”

— Toronto Notes 2019 Production Managers, Sara Mirali and Ayesh Seneviratne

Who purchases and uses the study guides?

“Medical students use it to study for the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Exam, as well as the United States Medical Licensing Examination. But many students get it earlier on in their medical career, using it to prepare and review in the last two years of the MD program, during clerkship. As it spans 31 chapters covering medicine, surgery, primary care and more, it’s a great reference even for pre-clerkship. We get orders from across Canada and the US, as well as globally from Australia, Ireland, and the Middle East. Many bookstores and class councils make orders too, as there’s a discount for bulk purchases.”

— Sara and Ayesh

“Being on elective, it was rewarding to see that the book was used by students from Vancouver to Halifax.”

— Tara and Mark

A large portion of your profits go into student support at the Faculty, which initiatives are you supporting?

“One of our favourite parts of the organization is that the proceeds go into student initiatives — with so many students and faculty involved in making this happen, and learning a lot along the way, it’s great to be able to give back in a direct way.”

— Tara and Mark

“That’s right. We donate 80 per cent of profits back to the Faculty of Medicine, and the other 20 per cent goes to operational reserve. Our donation to the Faculty is typically between $220,000 and 280,000 annually — we’ve contributed almost $3.7 million to the Boundless campaign — and goes toward supporting current MD students.

"For example, some of the things we’re currently funding include travel bursaries to help MD students get to residency matching interviews, wellness and counselling support through the Office of Health Professions Student Affairs (OHPSA), funding for class councils and the Medical Student Research Day."

— Sara and Ayesh

Visit our website to find out more about purchasing the Toronto Notes 2019 study guide.

Jan 15 Translational Research Program - Online Info Session Winter 2020
Other | 4:00pm–5:30pm
Jan 17 2nd Annual Joint Cardiovascular - Diabetes Symposium
Symposium | 7:30am–4:00pm
Feb 23 Annual Update in Emergency Medicine
Conference | 7:00am–4:00pm
8 – 11
Aging & Brain Health: Mental Health and Well-being
Conference | 7:30am–5:30pm
Mar 11 Mindfest
Symposium | 9:30am–4:30pm
Mar 28 Toronto Head and Neck Imaging Symposium
Symposium | 7:00am–5:00pm
Mar 30 – Oct 30
Leading and Influencing Change in CPD
Course | 9:00am–5:00pm


UofT Medicine
Do sugars raise blood pressure? It may depend on the food source.
UofT Medicine
RT : Episode 6 with Dr. Adam Rapoport is live! 🙌🏼 Dr. Rapoport discusses why palliative care should be incorporated int…
UofT Medicine
RT : Should prominent health care system players like hospitals support affordable housing initiatives, access to clean…

UofTMed Magazine

The balance of power is changing in medicine.

Sign up for your free digital copy.