Teaching with Technology - Digital Program
The global pandemic has accelerated the shift to an online environment for teaching, learning and research. For clinician teachers and educators, the need to develop the skills and expertise in creating effective online courses and programs has increased. For researchers, looking to build a national or international presence, understanding how to disseminate academic work, QI and research across digital platforms has become more important.
Continuing Professional Development’s new Teaching with Technology certificate program offers a 40 hour accredited program to help enhance your digital skill set for teaching and learning using education technology. This program goes beyond the basics of education in an online environment, to effectively integrate online pedagogical design into successful teaching.
Participants will develop a comfort level in:
- using various software (WHAT buttons to click)
- aligning use with pedagogical and instructional design principles (WHY to click)
- and examining the advantages and disadvantages of different tech enhanced tools as well as issues such as professionalism, inclusivity and privacy (WHEN to click)
The class will be structured around constructivist approaches with significant interactivity, group work, feedback, and practical application. Learners will also develop a mini-portfolio of online content including a website, video, infographic and recorded webinar.
By the end of this certificate course, learners will be able to:
- Demonstrate a comfort level using various teaching technologies within the course (zoom, padlet, twitter, infographics, video, and website creation) and knowledge of other mediums and software.
- Analyze/evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of different types of technology and appropriately select different modalities to meet specific learning objectives
- Debate issues such as online privacy, copyright, and instructional design principles
- Research and teach about a technology enhanced tool or concept (via Zoom)
- Apply and adapt educational frameworks and theories for online healthcare education
This program starts on February 9, 2021 and will run for 16 weeks. Sessions will be held every Tuesday from 11:00am- 1:30pm EST (Toronto) from Feb 9th to Jun 8th.
The program will include both synchronous virtual in-class/group work/drop in sessions (during all or part of time above) as well as asynchronous (outside of class hours) homework between classes.