Global Health Primer: Applying Global Lessons to Enhance Local Practice
A course for residents, faculty and allied health professionals interested in the exploration of global health and equity through a primary care lens.
This 3-day course offers a broad overview of global health with specific relevance to primary care. Global Health at the Department of Family and Community Medicine is an area of education, research and clinical services that seeks to understand and address disparities in health both in Canada and around the world.
Some of the topics explored in this course are:
• primary care in the context of global health
• social determinants of health
• ethics of global health and service learning
• essentials of infectious diseases
• immigrant refugee health
• indigenous health
• caring for vulnerable populations in Canada and abroad
• global health partnerships
• career planning in global health