The Alumni Fund
The Faculty of Medicine’s Alumni Relations Office (ARO) has secured a pool of funds from unrestricted alumni giving to support student groups who are aligned with the mission of the Faculty and are enthusiastic about having alumni involved in their student clubs. Through the Alumni Fund, students will directly benefit from both alumni giving and alumni expertise. This pool of funds is separate from monies made available by the Medical Alumni Association (MAA) and is available by direct application only.
The 2019-2020 program is now closed. Applications for the 2020-2021 program will open in February 2020.
The Goals of the Alumni Fund are to:
- Provide valued support for enhanced student experience through alumni giving.
- Build relationships between students and alumni.
- Engage alumni through opportunities to interact with students.
- Student groups must be a recognized by the official Faculty of Medicine Departmental student association OR have a faculty member act as a guarantor.
- The proposed program or project must involve alumni in club activities as mentors, advisors, guest lecturers or in some other way. Faculty of Medicine Alumni Relations team can help identify alumni participants.
- Priority will be given to new and innovative programs and initiatives, although existing programs that have not included an alumni component in the past will also be considered.
Proposals with the following requests will not be considered:
- Requests made for the purpose of fundraising that primarily benefit agencies or causes external to the Faculty of Medicine.
- Any club activity held outside of the University of Toronto community, i.e. an application is submitted by a University of Toronto student on behalf of his/her community based organization.
- Proposals that include personal expenses or travel expenses.
- Club activities that include alcohol-related expenses.
- There is no restriction on the budgeted amount for food, however the selection committee will use their discretion in determining what is reasonable for a particular event or program.
- Applicants who have not submitted the post-project reports for previously funded projects.
- Any activity that does not uphold the standards and spirit of the University of Toronto or that excludes any student or student group from participation.
- Any club activity that has not taken into account event planning and/or risk management practice.
Successful Alumni Fund recipients are required to:
- Attend a mandatory orientation meeting to be held in May, 2019.
- Provide timely and accurate reporting to the Faculty of Medicine Alumni Relations team as follows;
- An impact report stating the social and/or educational impact of the activity funded,
- A report on alumni participation (names, contact info, role, etc),
- If possible, a report on student-alumni relationships that are formed.
- Provide appropriate recognition of alumni support and involvement in club activities.
- Inform Faculty of Medicine Alumni Relations team of activities in advance and welcome participation from Faculty of Medicine Alumni Relations team in events as potential speakers or guests where appropriate.
2019 Application Process Overview:
Application Deadline: March 20, 2019
Submit the online application form by this date.
Shortlisted applications notified: April 5, 2019
A selection committee will review all applications. Applications will be short listed to present at Pitch Night. We will notify you if your application has been short listed.
Short-list Pitch Night: April 16, 2019 (evening, on-campus)
Short listed applications must have at least one representative attend Pitch Night. This is where you will present (for 10 minutes) your club’s event/project/initiative to the selection committee.
Alumni Fund Receipts informed: Week of April 17, 2019
Successful applications will be notified.
Mandatory Meeting for recipients: May, 2019
A mandatory orientation for recipients to provide further information about receiving your funds.