Group on Business Affairs
Mandate and Objectives:
- To support the mission and goals of the Faculty of Medicine (FoM) and University of Toronto.
- To provide members a forum for effective communication and information-sharing on business issues
- To facilitate the development and strengthening of business networks and relationships within the Faculty of Medicine and the broader University community.
- To support and advocate for the needs of its members in fulfilling their roles and responsibilities by providing a forum for solving and addressing common problems and concerns.
- To review the administrative implications of Faculty and University proposals by providing advice, commentary, recommendations and raising new issues.
- To organize and advocate for change improvements in the Faculty’s and central University’s business and administrative processes
Membership in the GBA shall consist of the senior administrator(s) responsible for business operations from each of the Faculty’s departments and units, the Directors and Senior Officers of the Faculty of Medicine, and GBA subcommittee chairs.
All GBA members may attend GBA meetings and participate fully in GBA activities. All GBA members may invite staff from their units to attend meetings for which the agenda is relevant and appropriate to their work, as guests.
The GBA also maintains a series of subcommittees and working groups which provide input on matters before the GBA.
Nelson initially joined the Temerty Faculty of Medicine back in 2004 as an International Programs Co-ordinator in the Department of Family and Community Medicine. Since then, Nelson has left the University twice to pursue progressive management opportunities in non-profit, community-based agencies. Nelson returned to the Temerty Faculty of Medicine in 2016 as the Business Manager for the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology and then moved onto the role of Manager, Business and Administration of the Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology (LMP) in 2018. Since joining LMP over two years ago, Nelson has worked actively to create a supportive and collegial environment for staff, learners and faculty and to promote the educational and research goals of the department aligned with the Temerty Faculty of Medicine’s strategic goals. His major activities and responsibilities include strategic planning and leadership, financial management and stewardship, human resources management, and facilities and space management.
Salvo joined the Temerty Faculty of Medicine in 2018 as Business Manager in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. In this role, he is responsible for all aspects of the Department’s finances, operations, human resources, and research administration; he leads a team of seven in ensuring the continued success of our renowned education programs, as well as activities in research, global health and advocacy. Having previously served as Academic Affairs Manager at Columbia University’s Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, as well as Operations Manager of multiple departments at York University’s School of the Arts, Media, Performance and Design, Salvo has learned to be flexible and responsive to varied environments when leading and supporting staff, analyzing and improving operational systems, and solving problems. In addition, Salvo is deeply dedicated to the unending efforts required of all of us to centre principles of equity, diversity and inclusion in everything we do—particularly within the walls of academia, and especially within the administrative staff community.
2003 and forward
- Nelson Cabral & Salvo Candela (2019-present)
- Chris Carew & Jeremy Knight (2017-2019)
- Wendy Kubasik (2015-2017)
- Evan Donahue (2014-2015)
- Nancy Fortin & Katrina Soh (2012-2014)
- Paula Smellie & Heather Droulliard (2010 – 2012)
- Wendy Kubasik (2008 – 2010)
- Wendy Kubasik & Paula Smellie (2006 – 2008)
- Horatio Bot (2003 – 2006)
Prior to 2003
- Connie Drummond
- Maureen Todd
- Ursula Cattelan